8.04.2010

National Chocolate Chip Day

Upon further research, it was discovered that there are actually 2 National Chocolate Chip Days, August 4 and May 15, and they are both officially sanctioned by the National Confectioners Association of America.  At first this perturbed me.  St. Patrick only gets one day.  Christopher Columbus only gets one day.  President's have to share a day.  How can chocolate chips get 2 days?  But then the thought struck me, "Does anyone really need to tell me to celebrate chocolate chips?"  They can be put into pies, baked into cakes, melted for a topping, or even just eaten as they are.  Of course the most iconic way to enjoy a chocolate chip is in a chocolate chip cookie.  Apparently the chocolate chip cookie actually predates the chocolate chip and has been around since the 1930's (read more history here). 

So we all agree that chocolate chips are pretty great, but how in the world do you experience chocolate chips?  Somehow baking a batch of cookies just doesn't seem like it is enough.  I am always looking for suggestions from my faithful readers (YOU!) so I checked my facebook.  My brother suggested that I buy a bag of chocolate chips and hand a single (not two, just one) chip out to every person that I met today.  Since I have a job and a life and since I have a son who was recently enough in diapers for me to remember that "diaper chips" look enough like chocolate chips for me to not take them from strangers, I nixed that idea.  I considered going to a professional and purchasing chocolate chip cookies to celebrate.  Now that seemed like an option.  Then I started thinking about getting not a dozen small cookies, but a giant cookie cake from a professional.  Then I thought, "I'll make my own chocolate chip cookie cake."  Perfect. 

To make this event more special, I decided to make the most giant chocolate chip cookie cake ever.  Following are some pictures, and to give you an idea of how big the cookie was, I took the pictures with some objects to compare them to.
Here is a local sheep grazing on the giant cookie


 Here is a velociraptor looking for it's next meal on my cookie

 This is actually me, snowmobiling across the vast cookie.


OK, you caught me.  That was not me snowmobiling...that was my stunt-double.  But I just can't chance getting injured.

To finish off the celebration I made some homemade buttercream icing and my son and I used it to decorated the cookie.  He wanted a smiley face.

Did any of you experience chocolate chips today, perhaps even inadvertently?  Let me know about it.
Tomorrow is national underwear day.  Normally I would be excited about posting some of your celebration pictures, but I'm afraid my internet content filter may not let me view my own blog so please, only appropriate pictures.

1 comment:

  1. Isabella and Adeline toasted chochip day with peanutbutter chocolate chip granola bars (intentionally for the holiday)! We were going to make cookies, but it is 900 degrees and my face will melt off if I bake today. Happy chocolate chip day! B Warner

    ReplyDelete