8.02.2010

Picnic Day (Australia)

According to a survey that I just made up, 98% of all meals in the U.S. are eaten indoors. There are several explanations that may account for this startling statistic (2 points for alliteration). For some, the threat of a pop-up rainstorm may cause them to abandon eating outside. For others, it may be a fear of missing an important visit which forces them to forego the al fresco (3 points). 
The Australians, as it turns out, don't give a dingo about any of these lame excuses.  In fact, they have set aside the first Monday in August as Picnic Day.  For more information on the history of Picnic Day, go here.

Today, I decided to adopt some of that famous Australian determination and have a picnic Australian style.  Now, there is more to a picnic than just eating outside.  You need a basket, a blanket, and ants to have a proper picnic.  All of these items I was able to round up, but I was pretty bummed to discover that I did not have access to anything with a gingham pattern.
Also, since this is a primarily Australian holiday, I decided to spice things up with some Australian fare so I went to Outback and brought home a Bloomin' Onion...just kidding.  I know better than that.  REAL Australians eat things like Vegemite and Shrimp on the Barbie.  I was unable to procure Vegemite (though I did go to Kroger and Meijer looking for it) but I did grill some shrimp to celebrate this Australian picnic.



Unfortunately, they looked much better than they tasted.  I made a honey-lime-garlic glaze on them, but it just didn't take.  The ants, however liked them.


As it turns out.  The real experience with a picnic is not the food, but the people with whom you share the picnic. 



 Bonus:  To cap the experience off, I played a little knifey-spoony

No comments:

Post a Comment